Overlanders, or adventure trucks, are unique, custom-built vehicles that are designed and outfitted to travel off-road and off-grid. A major component of the build is the suspension system, as it’s imperative to include one that provides a vehicle with the capability to cross terrains with relative ease and utmost safety.
When it comes to installing a new suspension system, adventure enthusiasts have three options:
- Purchase a custom-built adventure vehicle that includes a competent suspension system,
- Have the suspension system installed by a mechanic at a shop that specializes in custom suspension installation, big truck builds, off-road vehicles, and the like.
- Install the system yourself.
We always recommend relying on the experts for jobs such as this. Though, it is important to be informed of the process and understand what goes into your vehicle. Below are the steps to a suspension system upgrade.
How to Upgrade Your Overlander Suspension
- First things first, gather the necessary tools and equipment: Before starting the installation, make sure you have all the necessary tools and equipment, including a floor jack, jack stands, hand tools, and safety gear.
- Remove the existing suspension system: Begin by removing the existing suspension system from the truck. This may include removing the shocks, springs, and other components. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for specific steps and guidelines.
- Prepare the chassis: Next, prepare the chassis for the new suspension system by cleaning and inspecting the mounting points. Make sure the mounting points are free of rust, debris, and other contaminants that may affect the installation.
- Install the LiquidSpring system: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the LiquidSpring suspension system. This typically involves mounting the shocks and springs, installing the control modules, and connecting the wiring and hoses.
We recently teamed up with the folks at Sparks Motors to install a suspension system on a recovery truck. You can watch the entire installation here.
- Check and adjust: Once the suspension system is installed, check for any leaks or damage, and adjust the ride height and stiffness as necessary. Test the suspension system on different terrains to ensure it is functioning properly.
- Finalize the installation: Once you have tested and adjusted the suspension system, finalize the installation by tightening all bolts and connections to the manufacturer’s recommended torque specifications. Double-check everything to ensure that it is secure and safe.
- Conduct a road test: After the installation is complete, conduct a road test to ensure that the suspension system is functioning properly and providing a smooth and comfortable ride.
LiquidSpring for Overland Vehicles
LiquidSpring is an excellent option for those looking to improve the performance and safety of their adventure vehicles. Built on the mission to protect off-highway mining crews, LiquidSpring grew and evolved over time to offer suspension systems that protect a variety of industry drivers and passengers – including rescue vehicles, RVs, adventure trucks, and buses. Its proprietary system offers safety, security, and comfort and its user interface allows for manual manipulation and management. When it comes to off-road travel, LiquidSpring offers a suspension that articulates to take vehicles across any terrain with ease.
LiquidSpring Supports Adventure Trucks
LiquidSpring offers suspensions for a wide range of trucks, including Ford and RAM.
We have built a network of authorized adventure truck builders and installing dealers across the nation so every adventure enthusiast can easily access a Liquid Ride. Our home base in Lafayette, Indiana also has a shop, and we would love to install your system there.
Benefits of LiquidSpring for Adventure Trucks
Once you’re in your LiquidSpring vehicle, you’ll discover the benefits are as endless as your adventure options. However, we can offer a several up front to consider:
- Improved ride quality: LiquidSpring’s compressible liquid adaptive suspension system provides a smoother, more comfortable ride than traditional suspension systems. This is especially important when traveling off-road, where bumps and rough terrain can cause discomfort and fatigue.
- Increased stability: LiquidSpring’s suspension system helps to reduce body roll and improve stability, which can make a big difference when navigating rough terrain.
- Better control: LiquidSpring’s suspension system adjusts automatically to changing road conditions and loads, providing better control and handling for the driver. This can help reduce the risk of accidents and make the driving experience more enjoyable overall.
- Reduced maintenance costs: LiquidSpring’s suspension system is designed to last longer than traditional suspension systems, which can help reduce maintenance costs and downtime. This is especially important for adventure truck owners who rely on their vehicles for extended trips off the grid.
Overall, adding a LiquidSpring suspension to your adventure truck can be a great investment in the comfort, safety, and performance of your vehicle. We highly recommend working with a qualified installer and can’t wait to see your results.